Quick Intro: I met Jacquelyn at 3rd Annual Ride for Diabetes / Tri-Boro Sportsmen Club. After she told me about the organization and products, I found it interesting. The following is unedited from an interview we did on Facebook.
- Michael Phoenix First question: What did you first notice about Damsel, that caught your attention and drew you to this company?
Jacquelyn Risner the products for sure. they are all so necessary. I cant think of one thing that isn't practical in at least one situation or another and the fact that the HERmergency line is for those who expect the unexpected its like the universe was telling me Hey here's a company that thinks ahead just like you like
- Michael Phoenix How long was it after your experiences did you find Damsel in Defense?
- Jacquelyn Risner The incident in college was 2005 so it was almost 9 years the company had not even existed then
- Michael Phoenix You probably did research into the company before you committed any time. After your initial interest, what drew you to decide this company would help you and others?
Jacquelyn Risner So my friend 30th bday was on May 18th and I didn't join until the 26th. I researched the company, what DS is all about, and I interrogated my now mentor Jess. I also sat down with my husband and discussed it. We decided that if I was going to eer be passionate about selling a product it would have to be a product with a worthy mission and Damsel fit that bill. My husband also wanted me to do something that would be an outlet for what I had been going through. He saw me struggling and always wants me to talk to him to be vulnerable and I always wanted to hid these past nightmares from him
- Jacquelyn Risner not only am I able to help others by being there I am also helping myself by talking about what happened to me
- Jacquelyn Risner Every Tuesday Corporate office/co-founders host a training call to every Damsel PRO nationwide and this Tuesday there was a guest speaker from Women's & Childrens Alliance in Boise, ID. during the call the speaker mentioned that the co-founders hooked up with her 3 years ago and it is the support adn help they get from organizations and PROs nationwide that allow them to offer the services they do.
- Michael Phoenix Thank you. How has being involved with Damsel helped you? vs. more what society would call "traditional" ways. Example: going to a person of religion, counselor, etc. Feel free to decline due to extremely personal nature of the question.
- Jacquelyn Risner it is therapeutic in a sense to talk about what happened the more open I am the less sensitive I am towards it and I can move on. when you hold in things like being raped or beaten you are letting your assailant own your thoughts and in a way your way of life. I have been able to freely speak about what happened so others feel at ease sharing their stories with me.
- Michael Phoenix So Damsel in Distress is, in a way, an organization for people to go to and learn to help themselves deal with violent, traumatic experience. While dealing with it, they realize this is also a way to help others in a "real" way vs. the textbook or pills from a doctor?
- Jacquelyn Risner Damsel in Defense* I tell people I'm a Damsel in Defense no distressing over here ...So I joined because I felt compelled to do so not because it would heal me. That emotional trauma will always be there but being surrounded by supporting and loving Damsel PROs and BROs allows me, personally, to work them out. I would never tell anyone to becomea damsel pro unless they themselves are passionate about spreading the mission to help educate, equip, and empower other victims. But at the same time if someone needs to talk I will always make time for them.
- Michael Phoenix Thank you. Some people may see this and think it is a way to help vs. other methods. What can someone expect who is interested in Damsel?
- Jacquelyn Risner
- She (or he) can expect to be welcomed into a loving community of supportive and caring individuals. There is never a shortage of thoughtfulness. This company is unlike any other DS company out there. For instance I have a friend who sells 31 (bags) and it can get cut throat competitive. We share information and events with one another. We are here to help the other succeed. As far as us helping a person we always refer them to someone who is professionally trained to handle whatever the situation may be. I like to think of myself as a stepping stone. People would find me less intimidating to contact and ask for help than they would calling a 1-800 #. having a person to talk to face to face helps calm the nerves of some people. So I personally would never try to be a therapist for someone but I can refer them to someone who is and if need be take them there
- What about for people who are skeptical and think "Another company who's main concern is the money". Every company has to be concerned about the money. What will really convince the skeptics or people who are borderline?
- there's always going to be cynics and lets be real a company is always trying to make money. Damsel in Defense is a Debt free company and they tout financial responsibility to the Independent PROs. My director tells us all the time "Do it if you can afford it" The co-founders choose DS a reason ... word of mouth ... to reach as many women as possible. What is going to convince someone is their passion, do you believe in the mission or not? That is something an individual would have to answer for themselves. I know that for me, personally, I was on the fence and I did my research I was convinced by the what I read. This is a Faith based company while they don't shove their beliefs down your throats you know these are people with convictions
- Michael Phoenix
- Ok, you have me convinced about your reasons and the company. If you don't mind, time to wind this interview out. Last question: What advice would you give to someone who has been through a violent experience. To anyone who is considering Damsel in Distress or doing sonsulting for a compnay?
- The best advice I could give anyone who has been through a violent experience is to get help for yourself. Help can be in whichever form you choice. You might want to talk to someone, or run, or swim, or paint a picture, sculpt something ... whatever you do make sure it is something that is healing to you. Healing is something that is unique to each individual just like each individual is unique. You mist be your own guide in that process. For anyone who is interested in joining Damsel in Defense do it for the right reasons. We are a ground floor company so the potential to succeed is much easier consider if you will in 2008 AVON reported having nearly 500,000 representatives nationwide whereas Damsel in Defense is a new company with less than 6800 PROs. We have an excellent compensation package and the Damsel Community is unrivaled by any other DS company. Our compensation package is nice and as I said since we are still new there is a lot of ground to be covered. I personally want to spread this mission for coast to coast I want to help people get control of their lives back and I want to help educate and equip women so that nothing will happen to them. If you're not passionate about educating, equipping, and empowering others this particular company may not be the best fit for you. I love that when I joined I had the passion and the tools to succeed at my fingertips. My mentor has been there for me even for the silliest questions I may have had but that is also a part of the loving Damsel community.
- Michael Phoenix
- Thank you. Especially for being completely honest and not trying to sell people on Damsel. I do have one more question if you have time.
- Jacquelyn Risner
- Michael Phoenix
- Be honest: did you enjoy the interview and what did you think of it? It will be a copy and paste without any edits. This part will be included.
- Jacquelyn Risner
- I am really grateful for the opportunity to be interviewed and get Damsel in Defense and myself out there. You asked some good questions and I feel I answered them to the best of my abilities/knowledge and I am looking forward to the future.